Ziro valley in Arunachal Pradesh is one of the remotest and most beautiful landscapes in India. The valley is home to the famous Apatani tribe, recognised by their trademark facial tattoos and traditional nose pins. Visit a traditional Apatani village and get a close perspective into the rustic lives of these indigenous people. This pristine valley nestled within the mighty Himalayas is home to an exquisite variety of flora and fauna. Our Ziro tour includes a visit to the Talley Wildlife Sanctuary. In addition to its natural beauty, Ziro Valley is noted for its annual music festival, touted as the largest outdoor music fest in India. Stay in tents and enjoy a diverse range of music in an idyllic setting amidst snow-capped peaks and pristine lakes. Ziro Music Festival is like no other- with performers from across the world flocking to this remote hinterland of Arunachal. Meet lots of interesting people as you set up camp at the festival, swing to the beats of the live music and have an unforgettable experience that you’ll want to relive every year
Best time to visit: Around the year/ Last week of September for Ziro Music Fest
What is included in the tour
- Hotel accommodation as specified in itinerary
- Tent accommodation (twin share basis) as specified
- All meals as specified in itinerary
- All local permits
What is NOT included in the tour
- Any meal not specified in itinerary
- Air travel and/or transport beyond pick-up/drop- off
- Any personal snacks and beverages like alcohol
- Any personal medication
- Travel Insurance
- Visit to Talley Wildlife Sanctuary
- Visit and tent stay at Ziro Music festival
- Interaction with tribal community at Apatani village
- Visit to Meghna Cave Temple
- Arrive at Jorhat Airport where a premium SUV awaits you. From here, we drive 96 kilometres to Ziro Valley. Complimentary mineral water bottles and hot towels are provided for y our comfort. The drive takes us along a picturesque route where the landscape changes as we leave the plains and move up to hill country. We reach Ziro in time for a late lunch and check into the guest house. This is a quaint little place, echoing the simplicity of life in the valley, with excellent views of the surrounding landscape. The rest of the afternoon can be spent at leisure. You can retire to your room to rest after the day’s journey or take a wake around the guest house to explore its surroundings. In the evening, we visit a neighbouring Apatani village. The Apatanis are said to be the oldest tribe in the north east. Besides their distinctive tattoos and ornaments, the tribe are characterised by their traditional rituals, dances and communal feasts. They also practise an interesting method of high-altitude fishing that is fascinating to watch. After our visit, we return to the guest house for dinner and retire for the night.
- Today, we depart for Talley Wildlife Sanctuary, located about 30 kilometres to the east of Ziro. The sanctuary stretches over 337 sq. kms and is home to a wide variety of rare flora and fauna including the endangered Clouded Leopard. Talley is ideal for trekking as the terrain offers some elevation and great trails along the banks of the Subansiri, Karing, Pange and other rivers that pass through it. Photographers are spoilt for choices at the sanctuary. Return to Ziro in the late afternoon and visit the Meghna Cave Temple. The temple dates back to over 5000 years and is dedicated to Lakulisha, the 28th reincarnation of Lord Shiva. The architecture is fascinating with intricate carvings of scriptures in Sanskrit. In the evening, we return to guest house for an early dinner and then retire for the night.
- Today, we depart for the Ziro Music Festival. Your SUVs transport you to the festival venue where we will have tent accommodation ready for you. Enjoy some great performances at the festival and get to know people from different walks of life, united in their passion for music. The festival has food stalls selling everything from local cuisine to burgers as well as the famous locally brewed rice beer. The festival inculcates a sense of ‘community’ in all those who visit. So you could be making some life long friends who accompany you the next time you visit the festival! Spend the night in deluxe tents where every care has been taken to ensure your comfort.
- Today, we say goodbye to Ziro and make our way back to Jorhat. Our team will drop you off at the airport/station from where you continue your onward journey.