Tripura is a picturesque hill state in northeast India bordered by Bangladesh in the north, south and west and Mizoram in the east. This erstwhile princely state echoes its monarchal past in the imposing palaces and lakes dotted across the land. Our green and cultural tour of Tripura takes you on a visit to some of these magnificent structures that tell intriguing tales of the land’s religious and social history. Tripura is a land steeped in legend. It’s where the Lord Shiva turned his entourage of Gods and Goddesses to stone, in a fit of rage. The deities stand frozen for eternity in the rock carvings at Unakoti. Tripura is also home to a rich selection of rare flora and fauna and our tour includes a double treat for ornithologists with visits to the Sepahijala Wildlife Sanctuary and Dumboor Lake, both noted places for wildlife and bird watching.
Best time to visit: October to February
What is included in the tour
- Airport transfers, all local transport
- Accommodation, food in Agartala, Unakoti
- Accommodation, food in Jampui Hills, Neer Mahal
- All permits for local attractions
What is NOT included in the tour
- Personal travel insurance
- Any alcoholic beverages
- Additional food/drinks not specified in itinerary
- Air travel
- Enjoy the rustic beauty of Jampui Hills
- Discover the legend behind Unakoti rock carvings
- Spot over 150 bird species at Sepahijala Bird Sanctuary
- Enjoy Light and sound show at Neer Mahal
- Enjoy boating in Dumboor Lake
- Arrive in Agartala where our staff will meet you at the airport and drive you to your hotel.
- You can take the rest of the evening to either relax or explore the city and visit the local markets.
- After an early dinner at the hotel, retire for the night.
- Have an early breakfast at the hotel and leave for Jampui Hills, located about 180 kilometres from Agartala. The drive takes 3 hours as we make our way towards the highest mountain range of Tripura. The Jampui Hills region is dotted with waterfalls and locally known as the Abode of Springs.
- Check into your tourist lodge for lunch. Jampui is a great place for trekking and hiking. After lunch, we hike to the nearby villages of Betlingchip or Phuldanga for a taste of rustic life. The watchtower at Betlingchip is particularly popular for the stunning views of the surrounding landscape including the hills of neighbouring Mizoram. This region is famous for its oranges and we will try some of the local produce on our way.
We spend tonight at the tourist lodge.
- Today we drive to Unakoti (114 kilometres). This is the site of Tripura’s famous rock carvings, some dating back to the 9th or 7th century. Each of the carvings is replete with its own myth and legend. The most popular among these is the story of Lord Shiva. According to legend, Shiva who was travelling with his coterie of gods and goddesses had stopped here for a night, ordering everyone to rise early the next day. When Shiva awoke to find everybody still sleeping, he was overcome with rage and turned them all to stone which is how they remain to this day.
- We will spend the night at a hotel in Unakoti.
- Today we rise early and drive to Neer Mahal (200 kilometres). En route, we can stop at the Sepahijala Bird Sanctuary famous for over 150 varieties of local and migratory birds.
- Have lunch at the forest lodge and continue to Neer Mahal. The palace, situated in the middle of Rudrasagar Lake was built as a summer retreat of the former King Bir Bikram Kishore Manikya Bahadur in 1938.
- From here, make a short visit to the holy Tripurasundari Temple at Matabari.
- Return to Neer Mahal for a light and sound show in the evening and retire to a tourist lodge by the lake for the night.
- Drive to Agartala with a halt at the scenic lake Kamala Sagar, close to the Bangladesh border.
- Next, we visit a 16th century Kali Temple at the excavation site of the lake.
- Overnight stay at a hotel in Agartala.
- After breakfast, drive to Dumboor Lake, a very s cenic location popular with tourists. The lake owes its name to its resemblance with the distinctive tabour shaped ‘dumboor’ of Lord Shiva. Enjoy boating or bird watching or simply taking a stroll along the edge of the lake.
- Return to Agartala in the evening for the last night of the tour.
- Have breakfast at the hotel and depart for Agartala Airport. A premium SUV drops you off at the airport and this is where your tour ends.