Assam accounts for more than half of India’s total tea production. The state is home to thousands of big and small tea estates which provide a livelihood to a sizeable percentage of Assam’s workforce. For a tea lover, a tour of the colonial bungalows and rolling plantations is the perfect holiday. Get a chance to see the process of tea making up, close and personal. Experience the serenity of living on a tea estate. Enjoy a game of golf at one of the tea-tees and explore the many attractions surrounding the plantations on this tea tasting tour of Assam.
Best time to visit: October to April
What is included in the tour
- Accommodation at Addabarie Tea Estate
- Accommodation at Kaziranga Golf Resort
- Accommodation at Mancotta Tea Estate
- All meals including breakfast, lunch, dinner and tea
- All local transport in luxury SUVs
- Complimentary mineral water bottles
- Transfers to and from Guwahati and Dibrugarh Airport
What is NOT included in the tour
- Any personal purchases including medicines, souvenirs
- Any alcoholic beverages
- Air travel
- Travel Insurance (if any)
- Overnight stay at Kaziranga Golf Resort
- Visit to local Mishing village
- Visit and overnight stay at Mancotta Tea Estate
- Guided tour of tea factory
- Arrive in Guwahati where our staff will meet you at the airport. Drive to Addabarie Tea Estate in our luxury SUV where complimentary hotel towels and mineral water bottles will be provided for your comfort. Arrive at Addabarie for lunch and enjoy a traditional Assamese spread made with fresh, local produce. After lunch, enjoy a tour of the tea factory. Watch the fine process of crushing, tearing and curling tea leaves and enjoy a cup of the day’s produce. Take a tour of the plantation where you can see tea pickers with their trademark baskets, picking and collecting tea leaves. In the evening, visit the neighbouring tribal Mishing village of Balipara. The Missing women are excellent weavers and you can see them at their village weaving intricate Mirizen shawls and blankets. Return to the estate for dinner and let your taste buds come alive with an array of exciting flavours and aromas of Assamese cuisine. After dinner, you can retire to your rooms, elegantly furnished for your comfort.
- Today, we have an early breakfast and depart for Jorhat to reach Kaziranga Golf Resort by late afternoon. Hot packed lunch will be provided en route. Kaziranga Golf Resort is one of the 20 “tea-tees” spread across Assam. It boasts of an impressive 18-hole, par-71 golf course and has a golf academy that is favoured by professional golfers around the country. Enjoy a game of golf at the resort and take a tour of the clubhouse which is the heritage Burra Sahib’s Bungalow. The ambience of the estate is reminiscent of a colonial era property, with the vintage furniture, unhurried schedule and quiet evenings in the parlour. Choose from Assamese or Continental options for dinner and finally, retire to your rooms for the night.
- Today we depart for Dibrugarh after breakfast and arrive at the Mancotta Tea Estate for lunch. This is a 150 year old chang or bungalow that stands on wooden stilts and is surrounded by a vista of rolling green plantation. Enjoy tea and refreshments in the evening followed by a relaxed stroll around the plantation. You could also opt for horse riding. The estate has a stable of several thoroughbreds and riding can be done for an additional cost. The day ends with dinner at the bungalow after which you retire to your rooms.
- Have breakfast at Mancotta and then depart to Tinusukia. Here we will visit the Heritage Wathai Tea Garden bungalow. This tea garden is presented by the Awesome Assam Tea Tourism and is an ideal retreat for tea lovers who want to cultivate their knowledge of tea and get a taste of the first flush while they’re at it. This is a relaxed day that ends with walks around the estate followed by dinner.
- On the final day of the tour, we have breakfast at the estate and then depart to Dibrugarh. The drive takes a little over an hour across a scenic route. It’s interesting to see how the landscape changes as we leave the rolling plantations behind us as move towards the more urban settings of Dibrugarh. Our tour comes to an end at the airport where we bid you farewell and as you continue your onward journey to your final destination.