Arunachal Pradesh is steeped in spirituality and ancient history. Being the birthplace of the sixth Dalai Lama, Arunachal is a sacred place for Buddhist devotees who come on pilgrimage to the many monasteries across the state. Each of these has a fascinating history. Our Tawang tour takes you to some of the most famous monasteries in the region. The tour includes a visit to some of the other attractions like the famous orchid garden in Dirang and a trip to a tribal Monpa village.
Best time to visit: Around the year
What is included in the tour
- Hotel accommodation as specified in itinerary
- All meals as specified in itinerary
- All local permits
What is NOT included in the tour
- Any meal not specified in itinerary
- Air travel and/or transport beyond pick-up/drop- off
- Any personal snacks and beverages like alcohol
- Any personal medication
- Travel Insurance
- Visit to Tawang monastery
- Visit to Tipi Orchid garden
- Visit to Monpa village
- Trip to Bomdila
- Arrive in Guwahati where a premium SUV will await you at the airport. Complimentary hot towels and mineral water are provided fo r your convenience. From here we drive to Dirang (139 kms). En route we visit Tipi Orchidarium, which is the largest in Asia with over 7500 species of rare and exquisite orchids. We reach our hotel at Dirang for a late lunch. You can take the rest of the afternoon to relax and rest off the exertions of your journey. In the evening, we will visit a tribal Monpa village. Get a chance to interact with locals and see their lives up, close and personal. Northeast India is home to over 200 tribal communities each with their own diverse clothes, customs, skills and dialects. Our guides act as translators in your interactions with the Monpa tribe so you have a better understanding of their lives. In the evening, we return to our hotel for dinner and retire for the night.
- Today, we have an early breakfast at the hotel and then depart for Tawang. En route, stop to visit the Kalachakra monastery, a holy place for Buddhists. This is believed to be a 500- year old monastery with some exquisite mosaic art. From here we continue our onward journey to Tawang. We will cross the famous Sela Pass at an altitude of 4150 metres. The place is historically significant, being once a battlefield where Indo-Chinese armies had fought. Enjoy the beauty of the landscape with its colourful tribal villages and pristine lakes on the journey. We reach Tawang and check into our hotel. You can take the rest of the day to relax after the long car journey. Dinner is served early in these parts and after a hearty meal includes some of the region’s local delicacies like lukter, or dried meat seasoned with flakes from the King Chilli. This dish is generally eaten with rice. A traditional fish stew is another state favourite and involves a rich gravy made with a combination of spices. After a satisfying meal, we retire for the night.
- Today we visit the famous Tawang Monastery. Built in 1681 by the legendary Merak Lama Lodre Gyatso, it is the s econd largest monastery in the world. The monastery is famous for its prized library that holds some rare and priceless texts. A spectacular prayer room inside the monastery has an eight- metre tall statue of Buddha. An adjoining museum houses some personal possessions of the sixth Dalai Lama while the central courtyard holds the annual festivals of Losar, Torgya and Buddha Mahotsava. In the afternoon, we will visit Urgelling Monastery. The place is revered as the birthplace of the sixth Dalai Lama, Tsangyang Gyatso. This is a great trip for photographers with a wide range of subjects to choose from. You could focus on the magnificence of the ancient architecture of these edifices or capture the mesmeric beauty of the surrounding landscape. In the evening, we make a trip to Ani Gompa, the oldest Buddhist nunnery in Arunachal before returning to the hotel for the night.
- Today we depart for Bomdila after breakfast. En route we will visit the Indo-China War Memorial of 1962, dedicated to the brave rifleman Jaswant Singh Rawat. The memorial site is surrounded by the snowy peaks of the Himalayas. Enjoy the stunning views as we continue our onward journey to Bomdila. On arrival, check into our hotel for lunch. The rest of the evening can be spent in a relaxed way, strolling around the place. Those interested in photography can take this time for some great shots.
- We start early today and visit Rabgyaling Gontse Gompa, Upper Gompa and Thupchob Gatseling Gompa. After this we drive back to Guwahati. This is a long journey which takes 8 hours. However, the surroundings more than make up for the time. Hot packed lunch is provided en route and you can enjoy your meal as our guide points out interesting places on the drive back. The tour comes to an end when we reach Guwahati. We bid you adieu at the airport/station where you can continue your onward journey.