North Sikkim offers a diverse topography of meandering forestland, gushing waterfalls and steep mountain slopes. Our north Sikkim tour takes you across all the major tourist attractions of the region like the Yumthang Valley and the Gurudongmar Lake in addition to several remote and beautiful spots that remain largely undiscovered. Explore the scenic countryside as you drive from one destination to the next and soak in the tranquillity of the surroundings.
Best time to visit: April to October
What is included in the tour
- Accommodation in Gangtok, Lachung
- All local transfers in premium SUVs
- Complimentary mineral water and hot towels on arrival
- All meals including breakfast, lunch, dinner and tea
- Airport/railway station transfers
- All local permits
What is NOT included in the tour
- Any personal purchases including souvenirs/shopping
- Any personal/additional beverages like alcohol
- Any meal no specified in itinerary
- Travel insurance (if any)
- Any medical expenses
- Air travel
- Soak in the beauty of the valley of flowers at Yumthang
- Enjoy stunning views of Kanchenjungha from Shinghik
- Visit to Gurudongmar Lake
- Visit to village of Tibetan nomads
- See the sights of the bustling city of Gangtok
- Arrive in New Jalpaiguri Railway Station or Bagdogra Airport where our staff w ill receive you. Drive from here in our premium SUV to Gangtok via Mahananda Wildlife Sanctuary.
- The dense forests of the sanctuary are home to tigers, wild elephants and deer. Drive on across Sevok for stunning views of the Teesta River with its white pebble beaches. Follow this picturesque trail across winding slopes to reach the capital city of Gangtok.
- Check into your hotel for lunch and then spend the rest of the day roaming around the Mall on MG Marg. This is the city centre or town square that is home to Gangtok’s colourful shops, restaurants and roadside stalls. This is a great place for picking up curios and other souvenirs and a popular destination for locals and tourists alike.
- Return to the hotel for dinner and then retire early for the night.
- Today, we have an early breakfast and depart for Lachen (120 kilometres). We drive across meandering forests and tiny hamlets, passing the Kabi Langchuk forest grove to reach Shinghik. Located at an altitude of 4000 feet, Shinghik offers some of the best views of the Kanchenjungha.
- The confluence of the two Lachen Chu and Lachun Chu Rivers- the Chungthang will be next on our way. We will reach Lachung in the late afternoon and take the rest of the day to relax and just soak in the beauty and tranquillity of the surroundings.
- Tonight we stay at a hotel in Lachung.
- Get an early start and drive to Thangu village (4100m), inhabited by Ti betan nomads.
- From here, we proceed to the picturesque Chopta Valley for stunning views of the frozen lakes.
- Next, we drive to Gurudongmar Lake near the Tibetan border. This is one of the largest fresh -water lakes in Sikkim.
- From here, we make our return journey to Lachen. After a late lunch in Lachen, we drive to Lachung passing the Bhim Nala Waterfall on our way. The Falls get get their name from the epic hero Bhima, known for his gargantuan proportions. In the monsoon season, the falls are a sight to behold and the sound of their water gushing down can be heard from miles away.
- We reach our hotel in Lachung in the evening and after dinner you can call it an early night.
- In the morning, after breakfast, we drive to Yumthang Valley- the charming flower valley of Sikkim. The place is a photographer’s paradise with hundreds of flowers in bloom in the summer months. Between January and March the valley takes on another face where it’s covered in snow.
- Visit a natural sulphur spring here and drive on to Yumesamdong (4725m), also known as Zero Point, near the Tibet border.
- After lunch in Lachung, visit the local Lachung Monastery and Handicraft Centre where you can pick up some interesting souvenirs.
- Drive back to Gangtok and for your last night of the tour.
- Have breakfast at hotel and then drive to New Jalpaiguri Railway Station or Bagdogra Airport. The roads will now seem familiar to you on the drive back and you can reflect on the experiences of the past few days.
- The tour ends at the drop off point where we bid you farewell for your onward journey.