Royal Agartala trip
Agartala is the second largest city in the northeast after Guwahati, and the capital of Tripura. The city is home to some of the best known tourist spots in the state including the royal palace of Ujjayanta and Neer Mahal, a small distance away. This tour lets you explore Agartala and its environs, covering the major points of interest including the Sepahijala Bird Sanctuary and Chaturdasha Temple among others. The tour is a relaxed one where you can take your time learning about the fascinating histories of the places that you visit. The former royals and their legacy are a popular refrain in much of Tripura’s architecture, history and culture and you get to see snippets of this heritage on our tour of Agartala.
Best time to visit: October to February
What is included in the tour
- Airport transfers
- All local transport
- Accommodation, food in Agartala
- All permits for local attractions
What is NOT included in the tour
- Personal travel insurance
- Any alcoholic beverages
- Additional food/drinks not specified in itinerary
- Air travel
- Explore the royal history of Ujjayanta Palace
- Enjoy boating at Neer Mahal
- Enjoy light and sounds show at Neer Mahal
- Spot over 150 bird species at Sepahijala Bird Sanctuary
- Arrive at Agartala, the capital of Tripura, where our staff will receive you at the airport and drive to your hotel.
- After lunch, visit Ujjayanta Palace. Constructed in 1901 by Maharaja Radha Kishore Manikya, the palace is also a state museum that has several interesting artefacts showcasing the history of Tripura- belonging to its royalty as well as its sizeable tribal population.
- Return to the hotel in the evening where you are free to relax or explore the city until dinner. Dinner at the hotel is a traditional spread of local delicacies. Try the Wahan Mosdeng a local favourite cooked with pork, coriander, onion and green chillies. Bhangui is another signature dish of tripura. This savoury rice cooked to perfection in a banana leaf is the perfect accompaniment to various meat and fish dishes.
- Have an early breakfast at the hotel today and head out for a day of local sightseeing. Our first stop is the Tripura State Museum. It was established in 1970 and houses various interesting artefacts recovered from excavations in and around Tripura. The collection includes some beautiful Hindu and Buddhist sculptures dating back to the 9th century.
- From here, we move on to the Tribal Museum, another testament the rich history of the state’s indigenous community.
- The Chaturdasha Temple is next on our itinerary. It was established in 1761 and dedicated to 14 Hindu deities.
- This is followed by a visit to Laxminarayan Temple and Rabindra Kanan, dedicated to the Nobel laureate Rabindranath Tagore.
- The Portuguese Church in Miriamnagar is our last stop for the day.
- Return to the hotel for an evening of leisure and retire for the night after dinner.
- Today we leave for a full day’s excursion to Neer Mahal located about 53 kilometres from Agartala. Built as a s ummer retreat of King Bir Bikram Kishore Manikya Bahadur, the palace took eight years to be finally completed in 1938. Neer Mahal is situated in the middle of Rudrasagar Lake and is the only other palace of its kind after Jal Mahal in Rajasthan. You can enjoy boating on the lake or a stroll around its periphery. Enjoy a light and sound show here in the evening.
- Return to the hotel in the evening. Enjoy a cultural performance of traditional music and dance on request followed by dinner.
- On the last day of the tour, we visit the Sepahijala Bird Sanctuary. Located about 25 kilometres from Agartala the park has an abundance of rare and exquisite avifauna with over 150 species of local and migratory birds. You can explore the park on elephant back, visit the orchid garden and also a coffee and rubber plantation housed within the park. There are also facilities for boating inside the park.
- After spending a full day here, return to the hotel for the last night of your tour.
- Have breakfast at hotel and then drive to Agartala Airport. With your hearts full with the memories of the last few days, we bid you farewell at the airport, where the tour ends.